The Truth about Torture

January 11, 2015

In this article Krauthammer is discussing his take on torture and the amendment proposed by John McCain that would make inhumane treatment of prisoners illegal.  Krauthammer first divides war prisoners into three categories: soldiers, terrorists, and terrorists with information.  In the case of soldiers, Krauthammer agrees with McCain that they are should not be tortured.  He believes that soldiers are legitimate fighters who have not done anything illegal and the only purpose for their detainment is to prevent them from rejoining the war.

Krauthammer takes a difference stance on terrorists because he sees them as unlawful combatants who attack and kill innocent civilians. For this reason, Krauthammer believes that they deserve to be tortured but we shouldn’t because the U.S. civilized and should not act upon revenge.

The final category is the crutch of Krauthammer’s argument.  First he gives a scenario where torturing a terrorist would save the lives of thousands of innocent people.  Using this hypothetical situation, Krauthammer concludes that torture should not only be used in this situation but also that it would be morally wrong to not torture the terrorist.  Thus, he argues that McCain’s amendment should not pass because it does not take into factor the idea that there are certain situations where torture is just.

After arguing why torture is not always immoral, Krauthammer next goes into detail about the type of torture that should be allowed.  He categorizes terrorists with information into two subgroups: the ticking time bomb and a high-level terrorist.  For both of these groups he believes that torture should be permitted, but only after receiving written permission from a cabinet level authority.

25 Responses to “The Truth about Torture”

1. here said

Hiya, I’m really glad I’ve found this information. Nowadays bloggers publish just about gossips and web and this is actually frustrating. A good blog with interesting content, that is what I need. Thanks for keeping this web site, I will be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can not find it.

2. Dominique Brocks said

Hi there, simply turned into aware of your blog through Google, and found that it’s really informative. I’m going to watch out for brussels. I’ll appreciate if you happen to proceed this in future. Many folks shall be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

3. Jim Englerth said

I have learn several good stuff here. Definitely price bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how so much effort you put to make the sort of magnificent informative site.

4. I appreciate your piece of work, thankyou for all the informative content.

5. Malpen Pl said

This site is mostly a walk-through for the entire information you wished about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse here, and also you’ll definitely discover it.

6. Hi, I think your site might be having browser compatibility issues. When I look at your website in Safari, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, fantastic blog!

7. manele noi said

I not to mention my buddies have been checking out the good procedures on your web site and so then came up with a horrible feeling I had not thanked you for those secrets. The boys are already as a consequence excited to read through them and have in actuality been making the most of those things. Appreciation for genuinely simply kind as well as for selecting varieties of superb subjects millions of individuals are really desirous to discover. Our sincere apologies for not expressing gratitude to you earlier.

8. click said

You have mentioned very interesting details ! ps nice web site.

9. Hello my family member! I wish to say that this article is amazing, great written and include approximately all vital infos. I’d like to peer extra posts like this.

10. I have been absent for some time, but now I remember why I used to love this website. Thank you, I will try and check back more frequently. How frequently you update your website?

11. I think this internet site contains some very fantastic info for everyone :D. “Nothing surely is so disgraceful to society and to individuals as unmeaning wastefulness.” by Count Benjamin Thompson Rumford.

12. I as well conceive thence, perfectly indited post! .

13. I as well conceive thence, perfectly indited post!

14. dani said

I like what you guys are up also. Such intelligent work and reporting! Carry on the superb works guys I have incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it’ll improve the value of my web site

15. Thank you, I have recently been looking for information

16. Your article is actually educational. More than that, it is interesting, convincing and well-written. I would

17. metin2 pvp said

metin2 pvp seven tüm arkadaşları metin2 pvp server tanıtım sitemize bekleriz.

18. Great and useful post, thanks for sharing.

19. I couldn’t resist commenting 🙂

20. Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

21. I couldn’t resist commenting 🙂

22. film izle said

Thanks for sevgi ile dogduk korkuyu burada ogrendik