Course Notes

Course Ideas

• City of feeling versus city of fact
    • “City of Fact”
      • Boston’s “city of fact” is its historical significance in the Revolutionary War and the events of the late-1700s
      • These facts are what place Boston in such a crucial historical context in the United States
    • “City of Feeling”
      • The people who feel strong ties to Boston clearly absorb a subjective view when representing Boston
    • The “Boston Strong” mentality — and my representation specifically — blends “city of fact” and “city of feeling”
      • It shows that the aforementioned historical facts play a role in characterizing the people of Boston as resilient individuals
  • “Let the Great World Spin”
    • Bottom line — past has an impact on the present
    • This hugely relates to the way I’m approaching Boston as a city that’s historical ties have a monumental impact
  • Idea of monuments
    • This concept manifests itself within “Let the Great World Spin”
    • Monuments are not necessarily hugely important in my representation, because I am making an effort to represent the identity of Boston’s inhabitants — not its geographical layout
    • The historical monuments in Boston are certainly important in defining what the city is as a place and the monuments play a role in “place-making,” but for my purposes, those monuments are not the most crucial components of my Boston representation
  • The concept of isolation
    • This appears in multiple readings and representations we’ve discussed so far (Sister Carrie, “Let the Great World Spin,” The Lost Tiki Palaces of Detroit (until the group unites by the end of the reading)
    • I believe you can find isolated individuals in every city because there are so many things happening in the city that it’s easy to feel lost
    • However, I think “Boston Strong” proves that Boston is the exact opposite of a city where people feel isolated