Beginning in February, Medstar Georgetown University Hospital will begin construction on a Proton Therapy Center, a new cancer treatment facility. Proton beam therapy is a non-invasive method of destroying cancerous tumors with sub-millimeter precision while sparing nearby healthy tissues and minimizing side effects.
The construction of the Proton Therapy Center will impact access to the Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center and result in some temporary pathways around the construction site. Medstar Georgetown University Hospital is building the new facility but is coordinating closely the university to manage campus impacts.
Monday, February 9th
- On February 9th, construction will begin to create a temporary, covered walkway between the Ground Floor of the Gorman Building and the Lombardi building.
- From Monday, February 9 through Friday, February 13, this access point between Gorman and Lombardi will be closed to all pedestrian traffic.
- Signage will be in place to redirect associates, patients and visitors to access either building from the First Floor.
Monday, February 16th
- On February 16th, the main entrance to the Lombardi building lobby will be closed to all pedestrian traffic. All associates, patients, visitors and vendors must access the Lombardi building through the Gorman Building, Pasquerilla Healthcare Center (PHC) or other routes.
- This closure will continue for approximately the next 16 months as significant construction work for the proton beam center will occur both outside and inside the Lombardi building.
- There will be no access to the Leavey Center through the Lombardi lobby during this time. Access to the Leavey Center will be available via the PHC and Gorman buildings.
- Access from the Leavey Center to the Medical Center campus will remain open via a temporary pathway around the Lombardi site and will be ADA-accessible. The Leavey Center entrance to the hotel and conference center will remain open.
- Signage will be in place inside and outside the Hospital to direct people to the Lombardi building via alternate routes.
Valet & Handicap Parking for Lombardi Patients
- Patients of the Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center who wish to valet part their cars, or need handicap access, will be directed to enter campus via Entrance 1 (38th Street and Reservoir Road NW) and utilize the valet parking service and handicap entrances outside the PHC building and Gorman building.
- Signage will be in place to direct patients to the Lombardi clinic from this area.
As the project continues, construction impacts will be localized around the Lombardi site. There will be increased truck activity at the Canal Road entrance during construction. Trucks will enter campus via Canal Road, travel up West Road to the site, and exit campus via Canal Road.
For any questions or concerns during the construction period, please called Medstar Georgetown University Hospital Facilities Customer Service at (202) 444-4440.