Greetings! I’m Mark Carl Rom, Associate Professor of Government and Public Policy at Georgetown University. This website contains publications, course material, research interests, and links to my favorite blogs. Enjoy!
Mark Carl Rom (“Rome”) is an expert on American politics and public policy. He has published books and articles on welfare, health, education, sexual politics (same sex marriage, gay rights, and sex education), financial policy, state politics and ethics reform, among other topics.
Mark is the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs at Georgetown University's McCourt School of Public Policy. He is also the Director of the MA in American Government program and Associate Professor of Government and Public Policy at Georgetown University.
Previously he has worked at the U.S. Government Accountability Office, the Brookings Institution, and the U.S. Congress, office of the Honorable John Paul Hammerschmidt. He has an M.A. and Ph.D. in political science from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and a B.A. degree from the University of Arkansas.
Prior to his professional career Mark worked as a janitor, a field hand, a waiter, a ticket-taker, a library clerk, a gas station attendant, an assembly-line laborer, and a backpacking guide, among other odd jobs.
He has appeared on NBC, ABC, BBC, CNN, NPR, VOA, al Jazeera English, Christian Broadcast Network (CBN), GOP TV, Voice of Russia, Japanese Broadcasting Corporation (NHK), CNBC-India, Channel 1, Norwegian Public Television, Monitor Radio, Armed Forces Radio, and Wisconsin Public Radio, among many other media outlets.
Mark has been quoted or cited in the New York Times, the Washington Post, USA Today, San Francisco Chronicle, the Washington Times, The Hill, and by the Associated Press, among other publications.
He is the author or co-author of three books as well as numerous book chapters, monographs, and articles. His most recent publications appear on this website.
- About My Site
- Forthcoming Publications
- In the News
- al Jazeera English: Romney Attacks Obama Over Weak Jobs Report
- al Jazeera English: Romney Goes to Europe
- al Jazeera English: The US Election — It’s all about the money
- al Jazeera English: Virginia Set to be the Key Swing State
- Boston Herald: ‘Open marriage’ dirt may close door on Newt Gingrich
- Busan Radio (Korea): 100 Days before the Election
- Christian Broadcasting Network: Arizona Votes
- Christian Broadcasting Network: Gay Marriage is Not a Civil Right
- Christian Broadcasting Network: Obama’s Energy Problem
- Christian Broadcasting Network: Romney Wins Illinois
- Christian Broadcasting Network: Young, Old Voters Face Off
- CNBC-India: Who Funded the US Presidential Election
- Fox Interview on Congress and Insider Trading
- MedILL Reports, Chicago: Boeing and the Sequester
- Press TV On Presidential Popularity
- Reuters: Afghanistan killings put new pressure on Obama, Republicans
- Reuters: In Good News for Obama, Housing Market Improves
- Reuters: Isn’t it Marvelous?
- The Scotsman: Mitt’s off for a fight….
- Voice of America: 50 State Elections
- Voice of America: Identity Politics
- Voice of America: Lobbying Pervasive Part of Policymaking
- Voice of America: On Presidential Primaries
- Voice of America: US Presidential Inaugurations Transfer Power Peacefully
- Voice of America: US Republican Candidate Debates Define Positions
- Voice of Russia: “Obama ‘Knew What Was At Stake’…”
- Voice of Russia: Benghazi politics to blame for Rice’s Secretary of State withdrawal – experts
- Voice of Russia: CBO and the Declining Deficit
- Voice of Russia: Election Roundup
- Voice of Russia: Final Debate Contributed Nothing
- Voice of Russia: Links to Presentations
- Voice of Russia: Obama’s Gun Control at SOTU
- Voice of Russia: Petraeus Scandal Revelations ‘Damaging Politically’ to the FBI
- Voice of Russia: Republicans Relied on Lack of Enthusiasm Among Minority Voters
- Voice of Russia: Social Security’s Long Term Challenges
- Voice of Russia: We the People Petitions
- Voice of Russia: Who’s listening? Obama Calls For Last Minute Solution on Budget Bill
- Recent Publications
- Works in Progress