Jul 12 2021

Normal(ish)

by at 7:30 am under Uncategorized

Life after the time of coronavirus is ramping up. The virus is still with us, and will be for a long time, but those of us who are fully vaccinated are safe. Society has certainly opened up, and we are rapidly approaching full activity at Georgetown, though with appropriate precautions in place. Almost 70 percent of Americans have had at least one shot. Many of the remainder will not, and we should continue to educate and support healthy decision-making. However, some of the “refuseniks” are resolute in their convictions, and their minds won’t be changed. There will be no vaccines, and perhaps no masks to protect themselves or others. It is what it is.

What to do? I can only speak for myself, but I am comfortable resuming normal activities when they are permitted, as I am fully vaccinated. I try to follow the science. I might become infected, but am very unlikely to get very sick, even from the Delta variant. I am willing to take that chance. Pfizer states that boosters supercharge host immunity, but the data to date suggest that those of us who are fully vaccinated retain effective immunity against all of the prevalent coronavirus variants. Unvaccinated people will remain at risk; many will get infected and propagate the virus, which will spin out new variants. Some of these unvaccinated people will get sick, and some of them will die needlessly. Meanwhile, life for vaccinated people will continue, inconvenienced, but more or less undisturbed.

I am totally comfortable being with my vaccinated coworkers, family members and friends. I worry a bit about my unvaccinated grandchildren, though. To illustrate the point, one of my extended family members is a passionate anti-vaxxer; her views predate the pandemic. She will never allow herself to be vaccinated. She does not want to be confused by the facts, only by her anecdotal pseudo-truths. She is wonderful, sweet and wrong. It is what it is. However, we will not see her until our grandchildren are vaccinated; in the event she infected them and they got really sick, either directly or through us, I would not be able to forgive myself.

So, life is becoming “normalish.” I spent all day Wednesday in the office, though it’s still awfully quiet on the GUMC campus. There’s really no convenient place to get lunch, and we all wear masks. I’ll spend at least two days in the office this week, and will work from home the rest of the time. We visited family on Friday after I took care of some of my father’s estate documents and then we had a wonderful weekend with dear friends on Long Beach Island, one of the Philly area’s major beach destinations.

We no longer live in the coronavirus’ world, but now are living in a world of our own making, through the miracle of science. In time, the rest of the world will catch up, too. I hope it happens quickly. Coronavirus is and will be a part of our world for the foreseeable future, and we will accommodate it, but it’s time to get back to the business of living, working and making this world a better place. It’s time.

Don’t forget the BellRinger! The first weekly BellRinger lunch will be held on the Podium near the hospital this Wednesday starting at 11:30 a.m. Please stop by, have a bit to eat, and sign up for the ride.

Stay safe and be well.

Lou

The views, thoughts, and opinions expressed in the text belong solely to the author, and not necessarily to the author’s employer, organization, committee or other group or individual.