Apr 26 2021

Life in the Time of Corona(virus) – Day 405

by at 7:15 am under Uncategorized

I have BellRinger on my mind. I spent about an hour on the bike today, and I am up to more than $12,000 in donations to support my ride. I will be announcing the name of my team within the next week and am open to any naming suggestions! Please sign up to ride, or encourage people you know to do so. Every new rider means more money to support Georgetown Lombardi’s research.

It turned out to be a pretty nice weekend to be outside, and we took advantage of it. Harriet and I took a walk on Saturday afternoon and stopped by a local market to pick up some food for dinner. On the way back, my cell phone rang. It was John Marshall. He said, “We’re outside your house. I know I told you I’d call before I stopped by; is this a good time?” I told John any time was good when it comes to him and his wife, Liza.

I knew he and Liza were stopping by to drop off a copy of their new book, “Off Our Chests,” which — as you may have read in the previous issue of Lombardi this Week — is a memoir of their experience during Liza’s bout of triple-negative breast cancer. Of course, the book is about that and more. I’d like to tell you I have read it and love it, but Harriet won’t let me get to the book, because she is devouring it. It is John and Liza’s story, but it’s also about Georgetown Lombardi. Most of all it exemplifies the values of cura personalis that animate our work. The book goes on sale on May 4, and the advance reviews are glowing.

John and Liza wrote this book during his truncated sabbatical last year; he has returned to his duties with purpose and vigor, leading our clinical operations, aligning these operations with our research mission as a cancer center, and being a splendid colleague, friend, and mentor to our junior faculty, fellows, residents and students. He represents the very best of Georgetown Lombardi, and this book reflects the very best of him, no doubt due to Liza, who is remarkable in her own right. Congratulations to both John and Liza for reminding us of the personal tolls of cancer, cancer care and cancer research. I hope it is a bestseller!

Please remember that this pandemic is not over. Use all appropriate precautions and, above all else, stay safe and be well.

Lou

The views, thoughts, and opinions expressed in the text belong solely to the author, and not necessarily to the author’s employer, organization, committee or other group or individual.