Mar 08 2021

Life in the Time of Corona(virus) – Day 356

by at 7:30 am under Uncategorized

I write this blog from an apartment in New York, where Harriet and I are spending a week to help our youngest son and his wife as they prepare to welcome their new baby home. Clark underwent successful surgery for coarctation of the aorta last Tuesday and is improving by leaps and bounds. Assuming no setbacks, he should be able to go home only a week following this major surgery. We dare to be hopeful.

Work has continued to be busy, and I have increasing bandwidth to attend to many important issues related to our budget, recruiting, space, clinical research operations and my laboratory. One of my pandemic grants, an R21 focused on NK cells and cancer associated fibroblasts in pancreatic cancer, got a strong score, though I will have to resubmit. A bunch of other grant proposals are in the hopper.

On top of all that, our new clinical electronic medical record, MedConnect, went “live” on Monday. My training was abbreviated by our family issues, so when I saw patients on Thursday I was functionally helpless. I got remarkable help from the IT support people in clinic, to the point where I can now order chemotherapy and complete clinic notes.

I find it remarkable that next week will mark one year of pandemic-induced restrictions. Historians will long consider this time. I will bet that one emphasis will be the remarkable resilience of our society as we coped with the existential and practical challenges of this era. As we move toward a time when we enter a period of pseudonormality, we should prepare for new ways of working and interacting. It will be very interesting.

Speaking of pseudonormality, we are eagerly preparing for our inaugural bicycle fundraiser, the BellRinger, in October 2021. This is shaping up to be a major initiative for the Georgetown community, with the sole goal of supporting Lombardi research. I already registered at bellringer.org, and encourage everyone to get involved as a rider, a volunteer (sign up information coming soon) or a supporter. This is a great opportunity to raise money to support our cancer research mission, now and for years to come. Let’s make it happen!

Stay safe and be well.

Lou

The views, thoughts, and opinions expressed in the text belong solely to the author, and not necessarily to the author’s employer, organization, committee or other group or individual.