Feb 28 2021

Life in the Time of Corona(virus) – Day 348

by at 11:00 pm under Uncategorized

In many ways, we all spend our lives engaged in a battle with death, poised on a precipice. Beyond the usual struggles associated with existence, I chose to dedicate my life to battle death quite directly as a physician, oncologist and cancer researcher. It is a good fight. Even though none of us can ever win the ultimate war, we have certainly won many battles with cancer. That gives me an enormous sense of satisfaction. I am beginning to believe that the coronavirus is finally on the run, too. Yet another battle is being won, even as new ones emerge.

It’s been a tough week. Here I am today, unsteadily poised on a precipice in a different sort of battle. On the one hand, I am reflecting on a week of loss. My father’s funeral was on Monday, and in response to pandemic precautions, only a handful of mourners physically attended the funeral, which was also live streamed. I had the terrible privilege of delivering a eulogy, and we then decamped to the cemetery, in a cold driving rainstorm, for a brief graveside service. It was sad and moving. Harriet and I then immediately hurried up to New York City and set up a Zoom memorial gathering to honor my father’s memory. The gathering was very cathartic, sweet and moving. As I have written before, I will miss my father enormously, but will never feel cheated.

Pivoting to the other view of the precipice, we had decamped to New York to drive our daughter-in-law and son to the hospital to induce her labor. Our new grandson was born on Tuesday, robust and seemingly healthy, though with a life-threatening coarctation of the aorta that will require major surgery this coming Tuesday. Talk about emotional whiplash! I had to choose between grief, worry and joy, all within 24 hours. I chose joy, and I still do. To be sure, mourning and anxiety are unavoidable, but a new life has been brought into the world. And, as I reflect back on the life of Samuel Weiner, I cannot help but smile with gratitude, especially when I think about the bright future of his great-grandson. Clark Samuel Weiner carries my dad’s name, genes and legacy into the future, strong and able to overcome each and every challenge life will bring.

Stay safe and be well.

Lou

The views, thoughts, and opinions expressed in the text belong solely to the author, and not necessarily to the author’s employer, organization, committee or other group or individual.