Feb 15 2021

Life in the Time of Corona(virus) – Day 335

by at 7:30 am under Uncategorized

I hope you had a good weekend. Harriet and I visited my father, who continues to fail; I of all people should understand, but it is so hard to watch the disintegration of someone you love as he nears the end of his life. So, it was not an easy time, but it was good and important. Also, it was reasonably safe, since both Harriet and I are fully vaccinated. We continued to take precautions with respect to masks and social distancing during our visit, but at this point the value of being with him — both for him and for us — far outweighed the risks.

We spent a lot of time in the car, listening to the impeachment drama, incredulous that a lawyer, a proud Philadelphian defending the former President, uttered the magic phrase, “Jiminy Crickets!” I guess the phrase, which was a thing back in the early 20th century, was uttered by some Philadelphians many years ago. But I never heard it used outside a movie theater at any time in my childhood, let alone when I lived in the area as an adult. Where he came up with that expression, I’ll never know. We are not like that, or like him.

Meanwhile, back on Earth, government is beginning to work for the common good. It now appears that there will be enough coronavirus vaccine to immunize most Americans by early summer, with improved distribution networks. All good, as long as enough people are willing to be vaccinated. And, last week we learned that the NCI intends to increase the R01 funding payline to the 15th percentile by 2025. Jiminy Crickets!

Finally, I wanted to take a moment to acknowledge a recent contribution to Georgetown Lombardi. In spite of not being able to gather because of the pandemic, the Walking Warriors Battling Breast Cancer continued their crusade to help Washington, DC’s most vulnerable women gain access to screening and treatment by raising an incredible $30,000 in 2020. Thank you to all our Walking Warriors for your continued support.

Have a great week. Stay safe and be well.

Lou

The views, thoughts, and opinions expressed in the text belong solely to the author, and not necessarily to the author’s employer, organization, committee or other group or individual.

One response so far | Categories: Uncategorized

One Response to “Life in the Time of Corona(virus) – Day 335”

1. Neal Bliven on 15 Feb 2021 at 6:25 pm

It’s a Disney thing and something that has been used by nominal Christians (or “fake” Christians as we would say in this day and age : – ) when speaking in vain (i.e. in a thoughtless and powerless and foolish and irreverent manner):

“Jiminy Cricket” was a polite euphemism for Jesus Christ. The expression was actually used (as an exclamation) in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, The Wizard of Oz, and the 1938 Mickey Mouse short, The Brave Little Tailor.

The cute Walt Disney character notwithstanding, this is a euphemism for “Jesus Christ,” on a par with Judas Christopher, Judas Priest, cripes, and jingo. The “Jiminy” comes from “Gemini,” which goes back to at least 1664, and which may derive from the Latin Jesu domine (or which might go back to swearing in the Roman Empire). “Jiminy” is sometimes used alone, as in “By Jiminy” or—perhaps a transitional form—”‘Oh, geeminy, it’s him,’ exclaimed both boys in a breath” (Mark Twain, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, 1876). “Jiminy” also may be finished off in other ways besides the cute “Cricket,” e.g., Jiminy Christmas, Jiminy crackers, Jiminy criminy, Jiminy cripes, and Jiminy whiz.