Jul 30 2018

Pre-Beach Week

by at 7:59 am under Uncategorized

(July 29, 2018) — Preparations for the CCSG site visit are now in full swing. I have met with all of the presenters to block out their slides. Polished first drafts are due this Friday, and we will review each presentation in group format starting on August 13. Meanwhile, I spent most of Saturday afternoon revising and finalizing our cancer center’s Strategic Plan, which will be reviewed at the Site Visit. We are compiling all new grants and publications that we have received since submission of the CCSG in May. If you have new publications, please bring them to the attention of Sharon Levy.

We have had good news on the funding front, and it looks as if we’ll be able to brag about at least four new awards, three of which are multi-investigator grants. More are likely to follow. We also can welcome funding that arrives with Marc Lippman. Finally, our colleagues at the John Theurer Cancer Center now more than qualify for CCSG consortium status based on CCSG-qualifying NCI funding, with six investigators holding eight qualifying grants, and a number of other peer-reviewed funded grants that add to their portfolio from other NIH agencies.

Other good news comes from our clinical research efforts, where we continue to accrue more than 30 patients per month to therapeutic clinical trials at MGUH. Continued progress in grant funding and clinical trial activities can only help us as we close in on October 17.

The highlight of the week for me was Friday’s Tumor Biology retreat. I was inspired by the quality and depth of work being done by the students, and the discussions around the posters had the quality of an AACR session with the warmth and familiarity of a family gathering. Kudos to the student organizers and thanks, as always, to Anna Riegel for her leadership of the T32 program.

It was not all work; Harriet and I managed to have dinner with friends on Monday and our granddaughter Aviva had a sleepover with us on Wednesday night. We took our son David and his wife Kelly out to dinner on Friday evening to celebrate his birthday. My work on the LCCC Strategic Plan on Saturday was sandwiched between a visit to the driving range to work on my terrible golf swing and a delightful dinner at the home of friends.

The coming week will be highlighted by a CPC program excursion to Hackensack for a retreat on Tuesday. Our bus leaves from the Harris Building at 5:40 am. The work week will end for me on Thursday; our weeklong family beach vacation starts on Friday. Accordingly, there will be no blog next week; I hope to stay off line as much as possible to enjoy the beach and my family.

Have a great week.