Jul 16 2018

A Shout Out to the NCI

by at 8:31 am under Uncategorized

(July 15, 2018) — I hope you had a great week and weekend. My work week was punctuated by NCI meetings on Monday and Wednesday for my last BSC and CTAC meetings. I had served on the BSC for seven years (six as chair), and on CTAC for six years; my time on both committees was extended by the federal hiring freeze after the 2016 election. It was a great honor and opportunity to serve, but I sure can use the extra time!

As I reflect on these years of service – in support of the NCI intramural program (BSC) and also in support of the extramural program (CTAC) – I am deeply grateful for the passion, depth, scope and quality of this remarkable federal agency. Make no mistake; the unprecedented reduction in cancer mortality from 1971 to now – saving the lives of about 250,000 Americans and countless others worldwide on a yearly basis – is a direct result of the NCI’s leadership and investment in cancer research. It represents the very best of us, and makes me proud to be an American. I hope we retain the national consensus to continue this progress through sustained investment in cancer research to benefit generations to come. So far, so good.

As we begin to accelerate preparations for the CCSG site visit on October 17 I will try to retain this perspective as we all whine about the incredibly demanding CCSG process. I suppose it must be good for us!

Have a wonderful week.