Jul 09 2018

Congratulations and a Fond Farewell

by at 10:05 am under Uncategorized

(July 8, 2018) — I hope you had a great weekend and great holiday! I returned to work on Thursday after Harriet and I spent a wonderful long weekend with dear old friends at their beach house on Long Beach Island in New Jersey. We stopped by to see my father on the way up and back, which made the break even nicer. As if to emphasize that point, his first cousin died on Friday at the age of 95. I am glad we are able to see my dad as much as we do.

This past week has seen some sweet and bittersweet events here at Lombardi. On Friday we bade a fond farewell to Lucianne Cavalli, who has returned to Brazil with a wonderful faculty appointment at her home university. Earlier in the week we learned that Beppe Giaccone, already a Professor, was granted tenure, and that Becca Riggins has been promoted to Associate Professor with Tenure. Congratulations to both Beppe and Becca! It has been particularly wonderful to observe Becca’s development as an investigator, educator and consummate colleague over the years. She is truly a homegrown success. We look forward to great things from both of them in the future!

Meanwhile, the CCSG beat goes on, albeit behind the scenes for now. Importantly, our clinical trial therapeutic accruals are back on track, due to great work from many people, led by Mike Pishvaiain and Goga Radakovic, with much support from Mike Atkins, Beppe Giaccone and Michael Vander Hoek. We are finalizing the LCCC Strategic Plan, and have begun to work with the site visit presenters on the general format and content of their presentations. CCSG activities will ramp up throughout the summer. I for one cannot wait for October 18 (the day after the site visit)!

The coming week promises to be busy, as I have the NCI BSC meeting (my last one!) on Monday in Bethesda, and the NCI CTAC meeting on Wednesday in Shady Grove. This does not shape up as a lazy summer for me. Crazy, perhaps…

I hope you have a great week.