Aug 07 2017

Building Translational Research Tools

by at 12:01 pm under Uncategorized

As another glorious summer weekend winds down, I continue to plow ahead with the CCSG renewal and our pancreatic SPORE application. I guess I must be a glutton for punishment! But I am generally happier when I am busy. I had an interesting highlight on Wednesday afternoon when I drove up to Columbia, MD to help Neil Weissman and my other colleagues roll out the MedStar-wide collaboration with Indivumed. Lombardi and MGUH have worked with Indivumed for nearly a decade, and this wider roll-out will be done in conjunction with our work here at the cancer center. It is another example of how the cancer center truly functions as the research engine of the MedStar Georgetown Cancer Institute. I look forward to seeing this extraordinary tissue collection – pristinely obtained, processed and annotated specimens of tumor, adjacent normal tissue, blood and urine – used to support Lombardi translational research for years to come.

We got a taste of the power of this approach in a paper we published in 2013 (Madhavan SM et al, Front Genet. 2013 Nov 20;4:236. doi: 10.3389/fgene.2013.00236. eCollection 2013. PMID:24312117). Now, as we begin to gear up for the pancreatic SPORE, we have a sample resource of more than 300 pancreatic adenocarcinoma patients – more than enough to support a wide variety of important studies. I hope that many of us will make use of this wonderful resource.

A busy week awaits, but our vacation looms at the end of August – and I cannot wait!

Have a great week.