Mar 13 2017

Early Winter Edition

by at 10:53 am under Uncategorized

Well, isn’t this interesting? We are completing an ominously cold weekend, girding ourselves for a potentially brutal Nor’Easter bearing down (up?) on us. Whatever direction it comes from it sounds as if we are in for as much as 6 inches of snow in DC. As (bad) luck would have it, I was scheduled to be in Philadelphia on Tuesday evening and Wednesday to be a panelist on the AACR – Stand Up To Cancer review of Innovation Grant proposals. Since Philly is slated (or is it sleeted?) to get about a foot of snow on Tuesday we were asked to try and get in by Monday evening if possible. I have a full day of work on Monday, so I’ll be training up to Philly on Monday evening, just as the storm arrives there. It should be an interesting meeting, but I fear the science will be eclipsed by the elements this one time.

Last week was highlighted, as expected, by the all-day NCI Board of Scientific Counselors meeting on Monday, and then by a several hour webinar of the NCI Clinical Trials Advisory Committee on Wednesday. Needless to say there was a lot of work in between those meetings. As we rev up to submit the U54 on anti-estrogen resistance led by Bob Clarke, we had a fascinating call, modeling the interactions of host immunity with the acquisition of estrogen-independence and anti-estrogen resistance in ER+ breast cancer. That Tuesday call was interspersed with ongoing faculty performance reviews. Wednesdaywas notable for our first CCSG competitive renewal deep dive, in this case with Steve Byers, to start planning how we will organize and present our shared resources in the application. More deep dives will follow as we look at each of the critical application components. Wednesday ended with a special treat, as my brother trained down to DC for a few days of work, and stayed with us. We met for dinner at Brasserie Beck, in downtown DC. It is a very nice place, though in my view it is at least a notch below Et Voila on MacArthur Boulevard, which sadly is temporarily closed as the restaurant expands. We then showed him a bit of our neighborhood on Thursday evening, and ate at Casolare on Wisconsin Avenue.

Friday was highlighted by a very nice Grand Rounds presentation by Patricia Steeg. I had to leave a bit early (about 5 pm) to go home, dress up like a penguin and head over to the National Building Museum to attend the Prevent Cancer gala. Harriet and I had the privilege of sitting with Bo Aldige, the President and founder/driving force of the Foundation, which has given Lombardi scientists several million dollars of research support over the years. We didn’t get home until after 11 pm, but it was a very pleasant evening, and it was for a good cause that synergizes with our cancer center’s interests.

Now I am going to finish packing, and certainly plan to bring my cold weather gear up to Philadelphia tomorrow! Stay safe and warm, be careful and have a great week. Hopefully it will be a short winter – one that started in mid-March.