Reflections on NWAV

Last weekend was full of conferences, taking GU linguists to Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Ohio, and Illinois. The department’s NWAV attendees were in touch post-conference with some impressions and photographs–stay tuned for word from those in attendance at other fall conferences, including SLRF and the Association for Business Communication Annual International Conference, among others.

Georgetown goes to Chicago for NWAV '14. Photo credit: Sylvia Sierra.
Georgetown goes to Chicago for NWAV ’14. Photo credit: Sylvia Sierra.

NWAV was *really* diverse and invigorating, and I feel particularly proud of the strong Georgetown representation. The best thing about it, though, has to be the musical tribute to William Labov, who is retiring from teaching, but who never gets tired. –Anastasia Nylund

Anastasia Nylund discussing gender variation and stancetaking toward African American English in DC. Photo credit: Uri Horesh via Twitter.

Sean Simpson presenting on "Phonetic cues to Localness in Hawai‘i English: Feature clusters influencing perception." Photo credit: Jen Nycz.
Sean SImpson presenting on “Phonetic cues to Localness in Hawai‘i English: Feature clusters influencing perception.” Photo credit: Jen Nycz via Twitter.

So my perspective is a little different, but I had an amazing time at NWAV. I don’t necessarily consider myself to be a variationist, in fact, I was singing the praises of discourse and recommending more interdisciplinary analyses, but NWAV is an excellent opportunity for all linguists. I met fellow grad students with similar interests, although our frameworks may be different and I spoke to many established researchers about how Variation and Discourse (and of course, Forensic Linguistics) can all benefit from each other. I have so many ideas for continuing my current research and will definitely be applying to NWAV44 to reconnect with all my new friends! –Grace Sullivan

Grace Sullivan and Shannon Mooney with their poster "Investigating an Acoustic Measure of Perceived Isochrony." Photo credit: Sylvia Sierra.
Grace Sullivan and Shannon Mooney with their poster “Investigating an Acoustic Measure of Perceived Isochrony.” Photo credit: Jen Nycz.
Jon Havenhill speaks to maintenance of the COT-CAUGHT contrast among Detroit speakers. Photo credit: Sylvia Sierra.
Jon Havenhill speaks to maintenance of the COT-CAUGHT contrast among Detroit speakers. Photo credit: Jen Nycz.

Sylvia Sierra made a great social media documentation via Storify about her presentation with Dan Simonson on gender and “cool solidarity” in two common Mexican Spanish slang phrases.

Dan Simonson and Sylvia Sierra presenting their research (note the inconspicuous capture of audience member William Labov to the left). Photo credit: Jen Nycz via Twitter.

It has a been a great experience to speak with people who truly understand and appreciate your research. Many people took a picture of my poster and will be in touch with me to follow up (or to download my poster from my website), so it’s a good venue to promote collaboration and sharing ideas. –Shuo Zhang

Shuo Zhang presenting on "Modeling Frequency Effects in Mandarin Zero-onset Variation." Photo credit: Jen Nycz via Twitter.
Shuo Zhang presenting on “Modeling Frequency Effects in Mandarin Zero-onset Variation.” Photo credit: Jen Nycz via Twitter.

The Georgetown delegation reflected extremely well on our department: the presentations were uniformly well-done and well-received, and I couldn’t be prouder of our students! –Jen Nycz

Grace Sullivan, Shannon Mooney, Sylvia Sierra, Dan Simonson, and Jon Havenhill enjoying the view and company! Photo credit: Sylvia Sierra (and Jen Nycz).
Grace Sullivan, Shannon Mooney, Sylvia Sierra, Dan Simonson, and Jon Havenhill enjoying a bird’s eye city view and good company. Photo credit: Sylvia Sierra.

CONTINUE TO THE NEXT SECTION: “ANNOUNCEMENTS & UPCOMING EVENTS”