- Lewis, Joanna I. Green Innovation in China: China’s Wind Power Industry and the Global Transition to a Low-Carbon Economy. New York: Columbia University Press, 2013.
Articles in journals
- Lewis, Joanna. 2016. “Wind energy in China: Getting more from wind farms.” Nature Energy 1(6).
- Lewis, Joanna I., David G. Fridley, Lynn K. Price, Hongyou Lu, John Romankiewicz. 2015. “Understanding China’s Non-Fossil Energy Targets.” Science 350 (6264): 1034-1036.L
- Lewis, Joanna I. 2014. “Industrial Policy, Politics and Competition in the Wind Power Industry.” Business and Politics 16(4): 511–547.
- Lewis, Joanna I. 2014. “The Rise of Renewable Energy Protectionism: Emerging Trade Conflicts and Implications for Low Carbon Development.” Global Environmental Politics 14(4): 10- 35.
- Lewis, Joanna I. 2014. “Managing Intellectual Property Rights in Cross-Border Clean Energy Collaboration: The Case of the U.S.-China Clean Energy Research Center.” Energy Policy 69: 546-554.
- Wang Zhongying, Qin Haiyan and Joanna I. Lewis. 2012. “China’s wind power industry: Policy support, technological achievements, and emerging challenges.” Energy Policy 51: 80-88.
- Lewis, Joanna I. 2011. “Building a national wind turbine industry: experiences from China, India and South Korea.” Int. J. Technology and Globalisation 5.3/4: 281-305.
- Lewis, Joanna I. 2010. “The State of U.S.-China Relations on Climate Change: Examining the Bilateral and Multilateral Relationship.” China Environment Series 11: 7-39.
- Lewis, Joanna I. 2010. “The evolving role of carbon finance in promoting renewable energy development in China.” Energy Policy 38.6: 2875-2886.
- Lewis, Joanna I. 2009. “Climate Change and Security: Examining China’s Challenges in a Warming World.” International Affairs 85.6: 1195-1213.
- Lewis, Joanna I. 2007. “Technology Acquisition and Innovation in the Developing World: Wind Turbine Development in China and India.” Studies in Comparative International Development 42.3-4.
- Lewis, Joanna I. and Ryan H. Wiser. 2007. “Fostering a renewable energy technology industry: An international comparison of wind industry policy support mechanisms.” Energy Policy 35.3: 1844-1857.
- Lewis, Joanna I. 2007. “China’s Strategic Priorities in International Climate Change Negotiations.” The Washington Quarterly 31.1: 155-174.
- Lewis, Joanna I. “Leading the Renewable Energy Revolution.” Georgetown Journal of International Affairs (2006).
- Yeh, Emily T. and Joanna I. Lewis. “State Power and the Logic of Reform in China’s Electricity Sector.” Pacific Affairs 77.3 (2004).
- Lewis, Joanna I. 2016 (forthcoming). “Green Innovation in China.” In Routledge Handbook on China’s Environmental Policy, edited by Eva Sternfeld (London: Routledge).
- Lewis, Joanna I. 2016. “The Development of China’s Wind Power Technology Sector: Characterizing National Policy Support, Technology Acquisition and Technological Learning,” in China as an Innovation Nation, edited by Yu Zhou and Bill Lazonick (Oxford: Oxford University Press).
- Gallagher, Kelly Sims and Joanna I. Lewis. 2015. “China’s Quest for a Green Economy” in Environmental Policy (9th Edition), edited by Norman J. Vig and Michael E. Kraft, (Washington: CQ Press).
- Lewis, Joanna I. 2014. “Technology Transfer,” in Essential Concepts of Global Environmental Governance, edited by Amandine Orsini and Jean-Frédéric Morin (London: Routledge/Earthscan).
- Lewis, Joanna I. 2014. “Assessing Climate Change Impacts and Adaptation Strategies in China,” in Adaptation to Climate Change in Asia, edited by Sushil Vachani and Jawed Usmani. Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar.
- Lewis, Joanna I. and Kelly Sims Gallagher. 2014. “Energy and Environment in China: National and Global Challenges” in The Global Environment: Institutions, Law and Policy (Fourth Edition), edited by Regina Axelrod, Stacy VanDeveer (Washington: CQ Press).
- Lewis, Joanna I. “China’s Environmental Diplomacy: Climate Change, Domestic Politics and International Engagement.” China Across the Divide: The Domestic and Global in Politics and Society. Ed. Rosemary Foot. New York: Oxford University Press, 2013.
- Gallagher, Kelly Sims and Joanna I. Lewis. “China’s Quest for a Green Economy.” Environmental Policy. Ed. Vig and Kraft . Washington: CQ Press, 2012.
- Lewis, Joanna I. “Climate Change Challenges and China’s Foreign Policy.” China’s Challenges to Human Security: Foreign Relations and Global Implications. Ed. Guoguang Wu . London and New York: Routledge, 2012.
- Lewis, Joanna I. “Climate Mitigation Initiatives in China.” Berkshire Encyclopedia of Sustainability Volume 7. China, India and Southeast Asia: Assessing Sustainability. Ed. Ray Anderson. Great Barrington, MA: Berkshire, 2012.
- Lewis, Joanna I. “China.” Climate Change and National Security: A Country-Level Analysis. Ed. Daniel Moran. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press, 2011.
- Lewis, Joanna and Kelly Sims Gallagher. “Energy and Environment in China: Achievements and Enduring Challenges.” The Global Environment: Institutions, Law and Policy. Ed. Regina Axelrod, Stacy VanDeveer and David Leonard Downie. Washington, DC: CQ Press, 2010.
- Lewis, Joanna I. . “Environmental Challenges: From the Local to the Global.” China Today, China Tomorrow: Domestic Politics, Economy, and Society. Ed. Joseph Fewsmith. Lanham, MD: Roman and Littlefield, 2010.
- Lewis, Joanna I., Michael B. Cummings and Jeffrey Logan. . “Understanding the Climate Challenge in China.” Climate Change Science and Policy. Ed. Steven H. Schneider, Armin Rosencranz, Michael Mastrandrea and Kristin Kuntz-Duriseti. Washington, DC: Island Press, 2009.
- Lewis, Joanna I., Qimin Chai and Xiliang Zhang. “Low Carbon Electricity Development in China: Opportunities and Challenges.” Generating Electricity in a Carbon Constrained World. Ed. Fereidoon P. Sioshansi . Waltham: Elseiver Academic Press, 2009.
Policy Briefs & Technical Reports
- Lewis, Joanna I. “The US-China Climate and Energy Relationship.” In The Simon Chair Essay Collection. CSIS, Washington, 2017.
- Lewis, Joanna I. “A Better Approach to Intellectual Property? Lessons from the US-China Clean Energy Research Center.” Paulson Papers on Energy and Environment, Chicago: Paulson Institute, June 1, 2015.
- Agrawala, Shardul, Roberto Acosta Moreno, Leonardo Barreto-Gomez, Thomas Cottier, Alba Eritrea Gámez-Vázquez, Dabo Guan, Edgar E. Gutierrez-Espeleta, Leiwen Jiang, Yong Gun Kim, Stephan Klasen, Joanna Lewis, Mohammed Messouli, Michael Rauscher, Noim Uddin Anthony Venables. “Regional Development and Cooperation.” Chapter 14 in the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change 5th Assessment Report. 2014.
Blogs and Commentaries
- Lewis, Joanna. “Harnessing the Wind in China.” National Bureau of Asian Research, August 1, 2017.
- Lewis, Joanna and Li Shuo. “As the US steps back, China must step up on climate leadership.” China Dialogue and China File (published in English and Chinese). June 4, 2017.
- Lewis, Joanna. “Continuing cooperation with China on clean energy and climate change in US interest.” ChinaFaqs.org, November 18, 2016.
- Lewis, Joanna. “Is China a Leader or Laggard on Climate Change?” China File, December 10, 2015.
- Lewis, Joanna. “What Would New Breakthroughs on Climate Change Mean for the U.S.-China
- Relationship?” China File, September 16, 2015; National Bureau of Asian Research, September 24, 2015.
- Lewis, Joanna. “Are China’s Limits on Greenhouse Gas Emissions Meaningful?” China File, July 9, 2015.
- Lewis, Joanna. “U.S.-China Climate Cooperation More Crucial Than Ever.” China Dialogue and China File (published in Chinese and English), July 10, 2014.
- Lewis, Joanna (interview by Leah Thompson). “A Progress Report on U.S.-China Energy & Climate Change Cooperation.” ChinaFile.com, February 14, 2013.
- Lewis, Joanna. “Building Our Clean Energy Industries: Learning from China’s Experience in Wind Power.” Chinafaqs.org, World Resources Institute, February 4, 2013.
- Lewis, Joanna. “U.S., China need a green peace, not a trade war,” Salon.com, February 14, 2012.
Most papers can also be downloaded at Google Scholar.