Will Whitmire

Program:
MPS in Public Relations & Corporate Communications
Current Position:
Deputy Communications Director, Patriotic Millionaires
Hometown:
Fort Lauderdale, FL
LinkedIn

How have Georgetown’s Jesuit values influenced your life and work?

“Community in Diversity” is my life’s pursuit. As a Black bisexual man, I am a member of two marginalized communities. Being Black presents unique challenges within society, but coupled with my sexual identity I fall outside the expectations of most communities.

Due to my identity, I strive to create spaces where diversity is celebrated and serves as a foundation to building accepting communities where everyone feels welcomed. This manifests in my studies, career, and aspirations for the future. In the classroom, I am often the person who provokes classroom discussions on diversity, sharing my personal identity and story, and inviting my classmates to experience how diversity enriches our Georgetown community.

In my career, as a communications professional at the Human Rights Campaign—the nation’s largest LGBTQ civil rights organization—I told stories of marginalized people, to show the country how diversity makes our nation stronger and more resilient. In terms of my future aspirations, I would like to run for public office in order to show Black queer youth that while they may be different, they can still be accepted and find community at the highest levels of our government and society.

What advice do you have for current students?
Be intentional about which classes you choose to take. Think about the skills you will need for your future career, and not just where you are right now in your career.