Tigist Tadesse

Program:
MPS in Higher Education Administration
Current Position:
Residential Counselor, See Forever Foundation
Current City:
Washington, D.C.
LinkedIn

How have Georgetown’s Jesuit values, such as “People for Others,” influenced your life and work?

To be a person for others means being the resource and voice to those in need. In my personal life, I have consistently been active in planning and participating in community-based projects while using my platform and education to advocate for those facing injustice. During the pandemic, for example, I have successfully fundraised over $600 to provide hot meals and gloves to those facing homelessness in the District of Columbia. Furthermore, I use this value in my daily life as a Residential Counselor. I work to support five high school girls who live with me. I serve as a guiding figure to support them emotionally and aid in the development of their academic and life skills. My students have faced and continue to face obstacles that come with living in urban communities. I use my experiences and their stories to guide my discussion in the classroom to dismantle preconceived notions and raise awareness.

Who has had a significant influence in your life to help you get to where you are today and why?
My mother has had a significant impact on my life. She has instilled in me the value of giving back to those in need, and never giving up on any dream that I wish to accomplish. She has also taught me the importance of building and maintaining a relationship with God.