Silvia Bianchin

Program:
MPS in Project Management
Current Position:
Full-Time Student
Hometown:
Venice, Italy
LinkedIn

How do your contributions to your program and to the SCS community overall make you a strong candidate for The Hoya Professional 30?

When I became a Hoya, I committed myself to do my very best to add value to the SCS community. Since then, I created a community-building platform called “The Cooking Spotlight” (TCS) and launched a pilot for a mentoring program to help students exchange skills.

Given the ongoing global pandemic, students were lacking opportunities to build meaningful connections. With the goal to provide students with a platform to share, teach, interact, and connect over food, I founded “The Cooking Spotlight,” which created a bridge across different SCS programs and also expanded into collaborations with other Georgetown Schools such as Villa le Balze and Georgetown’s main campus. Students, staff, and faculty have had the opportunity to share a piece of their culture by teaching others how to prepare a dish on TCS. My ultimate goal is to turn this initiative into a nonprofit that will help build communities and support students across different institutions.

Through the TCS project, I had the chance to meet some of the most brilliant minds in my network. After some brainstorming sessions, we started designing a mentoring program pilot to celebrate and share students’ skills and experiences, which we envisioned as a tool for current and prospective students to use in the future. The result was a cross-program collaboration between students and alumni to help each other grow academically and professionally.

My hope is that these programs can continue to help future generations of Hoyas develop the connections to enrich their Georgetown experience.

How have Georgetown’s Jesuit values influenced your life and work?

“People for Others” is a value that has always driven my actions and has blossomed even more during my time at Georgetown University SCS.

Over the past year, I strived to provide support for international students that were struggling with the challenges and uncertainty surrounding the pandemic, especially due to the government directives that threatened their student status. These students felt a growing frustration about a perceived lack of care and empathy from the university, but by listening to individual issues, encouraging constructive solutions, and organizing collaborative group brainstorming sessions for some of the larger issues, I provided a means for them to have their voices heard as well as present mutually beneficial solutions to Georgetown faculty and staff.

In turn, the support from faculty and staff was critical in assisting the community and demonstrated to me how impactful it is to keep an open mindset, to listen, and to be there for others. Their example inspired me to apply the value of People for Others in every setting of my life.

I look forward to becoming a project manager and leader: one who goes beyond managing teams in order to better understand each team member’s unique situation, and ultimately creates an environment in which they can thrive.

What is the best piece of career advice that you’ve received?
“Don’t be afraid of failing.” We often see failure as a very negative thing, but if you think about it, where there is failure, there is also learning; there is growth; there is moving forward. And eventually, there is success. Don’t be afraid of failing—keep moving.