Samantha Corriero

Program:
MPS in Project Management
Current Position:
Systems Engineer, Boeing Defense and Space
Hometown:
El Paso, TX

How have Georgetown’s Jesuit values influenced your life and work?

Growing up on the border I have been fortunate to have an upbringing highlighting the importance of knowing both backgrounds and cultures that reflects the Jesuit value of “Community in Diversity.” During my formative years, I had the opportunity to travel across borders and experience the traditions, languages, and customs of El Paso, Texas and Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. Life on the border fostered in me a strong sense of connection, which has enabled me to stay involved with reaching out to disadvantaged communities, while also adjusting to a professional, affluent environment.

In terms of future pursuits, “Community in Diversity” has helped me further understand and respect different walks of life. I have gained a greater sense of self-awareness, which I realize begins with my own behavior and relationships with others. I firmly believe “Community in Diversity” begins within our hearts, and being authentic in connecting with others.

Who has had a significant influence in your life to help you get to where you are today and why?
The Sisters of Loretto and fellow members of the Loretto community helped heal my spiritual development, and prepared me for entrance into a professional engineering community. Growing up on the US/Mexico border during the recession, I was offered a position as a high school teacher at the Loretto Academy (an all-girls prep school) while finishing up my studies in engineering. Many members of Loretto strengthened my authentic self, teaching me how to advocate for myself as well as instilling in me a deep sense of empathy.