Nicholas Gordon

Program:
EMPS in Emergency & Disaster Management
Current Position:
Regional Preparedness Coordinator/COVID-19 Warehouse Distribution Manager, Full Time Student, and Member of Panhandle Regional Advisory Council
Hometown:
Midway, UT
LinkedIn

How do your contributions to your program and to the SCS community overall make you a strong candidate for The Hoya Professional 30?

I have a very unique background studying world religions, Middle Eastern studies, Farsi, and public health. My unique educational background, in conjunction with my varied employment and volunteer history as a missionary, public health professional, American Red Cross disaster specialist, disaster responder, and my current role as a regional emergency manager in Texas gives me some insight regarding all we are learning in the EDM program. I make a concerted effort to balance sharing my insight, stories, and lessons learned with my cohort, while prompting others to do the same. I am a leader in both my scholastic and professional settings and work hard to do so in an effective and loving manner, sensitive to the needs of those around me.

I seek every opportunity to learn and grow, and this year became involved in Georgetown University’s Inaugural Diversity, Equity, Belonging, and Inclusion Council (DEBIC). As a middle class, heterosexual white male, I feel it is my duty to listen to and work to understand the difficulties of others, as well as my own privilege, so that I might be a better classmate and working professional to all around me.

How have Georgetown’s Jesuit values influenced your life and work?

“People for Others” is more than simply a mantra in my life. From a young age learning to serve others as a Boy Scout working towards my Eagle Scout Award, to my current role leading the health and medical pandemic response efforts for 22 counties, I have always had a desire to serve others. I feel the most purpose in life and the deepest connection to my faith as I give my time, talents, and energy to benefit others.

As a student in my cohort, I enjoy praising my fellow classmates for their unique strengths and asking them to share experiences in their lives and careers that may help guide and reinforce the learning we are doing. I sincerely believe that an honest compliment and well-directed question can pull even the shyest student out of their shell, and it benefits the entire class when that student shares a perspective that might have otherwise been kept to themselves.

Finally, I have a desire to work internationally in emergency and disaster response, putting to work the knowledge and skills I’ve developed throughout my career in public service, as well as my unique education from Georgetown University.

What’s the best piece of career advice you’ve received?
Make the most of every opportunity you’re given. Whether I was working in shelter operations, or responding to the COVID-19 pandemic, or when I was rebuilding furniture, or when I was working in the stockroom of a grocery store, I’ve always made it my goal to be the hardest worker in the room. By making the most of every opportunity, you’re able to make the relationships that you need later in life. No one can be successful alone: it takes networking and teamwork. By making the most of opportunities that you’re given, before you know it you’ll have more opportunities presented to you than you have time to accomplish.