Morgan Payne

Program:
MPS in Integrated Marketing Communications
Current Position:
Multicultural Communications + Brand Strategist, Edelman
Hometown:
Miami, FL
LinkedIn

How do your contributions to your program and to the SCS community overall make you a strong candidate for The Hoya Professional 30?

As a colleague, I have encouraged and supported the professional development of my peers. Whether it’s reviewing a project, editing a resume, or making an introduction, I have worked to highlight and enhance my fellow Hoyas. As a student, I have contributed thoughtful insights and meaningful expertise through my participation in class discussions and diverse thinking. I have forged strong relationships with my professors and am looking forward to continuing to provide value to the IMC program. Externally, I have encouraged many of my professional colleagues and students from my former high school and university, and several students from Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) to explore a future in integrated marketing and communications.

How have Georgetown’s Jesuit values influenced your life and work?

When considering the 500-year-old Jesuit values that Georgetown’s School of Continuing Studies bases its educational offerings on, I couldn’t help but recognize them all as a regular part of my studies and daily life. When gazing through the lens of “Community in Diversity,” there is an instant parallel to the work that I do in multicultural communications, and diversity and inclusion. In such a challenging and unprecedented time, we have seen an increased focus on promoting diversity and inclusion, especially when it seems there is heightened division and disregard for others.

As a result of the both inspiring and concerning revelations of the time, I have worked with my organization to mobilize professionally and make a difference. While much of my work promotes the need for diversity and undisputed benefits of unique representation, it is impossible to ignore the need for us to be “People for Others” and be accepting and supporting of each other. Also with this, of course, comes the need for faith and justice. As a Black woman working in social and racial justice in a time of civil unrest, these values are at the forefront of everything that I do. When developing communications, marketing and strategy for clients, these values often serve as a north star for where we all should be looking to evolve towards as we chart the path to a better future.

Why did you choose to come to SCS?
I chose to come to Georgetown SCS because Georgetown’s approach to interdisciplinary study is unmatched. The IMC program balances insightful research, a fusion of strategy and creativity, and an array of field experience that is guided by exceptional faculty in order to create best-in-class and incredibly impactful campaigns.