Kasim Kabbara

Program:
MPS in Journalism
Current Position:
Freelance Reporter, Dallas Morning News
Founder of IceVisuals Ent.
Current City:
Dallas, TX

Who has had a significant influence in your life to help you get to where you are today and why?

There are three people I credit for helping me get to where I am today. The first is God, for being so patient with me and being there for me when I need to speak about what is on my mind. The second is my mom whom I am forever indebted to for all the sacrifices she has made for me. The third is my role model, my younger sister Kiara, who is such an incredible woman.

How have Georgetown’s Jesuit values influenced your life and work?

“People for Others” is the portal that opened for me to become a student at Georgetown today. I am an Other: I am an African American male, and first-generation college graduate. My grandmother and father both have a junior high school education, and my father also went to prison. Being raised in the inner city, not being able to talk until the age of three, and growing up in a single-parent household, many odds were against me; most statistics would state that I should not be at Georgetown University.

However, because several people stepped out of their comfort zone and culture and took the time to notice me and invest in me, the road that was originally paved for me was destroyed; instead, a bridge emerged. This experience has taught me to lift as I climb. I keep in contact with my high school principal, offering mentorship, school supplies, and whatever I can to assist students in need. I frequently attend functions hosted by the Boys and Girls Club of Dallas, just to encourage kids that their present doesn’t represent their future. In my studies, I make it a point to see things from the other side by learning different cultures and viewpoints, while bringing awareness of my own experiences.