Coulter Tallent

Program:
MPS in Emergency & Disaster Management
Current Position:
Situation Unit Leader, Federal Emergency Management Agency
Hometown:
Vale, NC

How do your contributions to your program and to the SCS community overall make you a strong candidate for The Hoya Professional 30?

As a Situation Unit Leader in the Planning Cadre with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency, I am uniquely poised to incorporate my experiences into meaningful and relevant academic research and discussions during my time at Georgetown University. My ability to enrich the emergency and disaster management field of study is further supplemented by my time as a security professional in the rail sector where I served as a director of homeland security, and was a recipient of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Stakeholder Award.

What advice do you have for current students?
Set yourself apart through your research, critical thinking, creativity, and process in every assignment, no matter how routine. Given the institution’s prestige, Georgetown faculty are often leaders across the public and private sectors; they may one day be an invaluable resource to secure a highly competitive opportunity or better yet, even become your supervisor.

Which Jesuit value resonates the most with you and why?
The Jesuit value which resonates with me the most is “Cura Personalis,” a Latin phrase which translates as “Care of the Person.” As a federal emergency response official, I place a great emphasis in ensuring the care of every member of a community before, during, and after a disaster.