About GU Food Studies

Posted on February 23, 2013 by Sylvie Durmelat

This blog, like our potluck meetings, is open to all who would like to participate in the ongoing conversation about food at Georgetown, in the Washington DC foodshed, and beyond. We imagined this blog as a forum where the GU community can share thoughts, stories, projects, recipes, pictures, upcoming events etc., all about the central role and multiple meanings food takes on in every aspect of our everyday life, as well as in our academic pursuits.  This potluck blog is our attempt to bridge the gap between our tables and our classrooms.

A short definition may be needed before we continue. “Food Studies” is a convenient umbrella term that describes the critical examination of one, or several aspects of food production and consumption, within and across specific historical, political, cultural, social, economic, agricultural, medical and scientific contexts.  Basically, we use food as a lens through which to study and interpret the world in which we eat, cook, and live.

In Spring 2012, we launched the Food Studies cluster of interest on the Main campus. Students and Faculty have since used it to identify food-related courses, and connect with each other. Faculty and students from the Medical school joined the group and made it more vibrant in Fall 2012. The Georgetown Food Studies Group comprises Faculty and students from different campuses in a truly interdisciplinary fashion. We have agreed on a set of goals that you can read here.

Our potluck blog extends an open invitation to all members of the GU community interested in studying what’s on their plates, where it came from, and where it’s going. It is our hope that our commensal efforts will garner food studies its rightful place at the academic table, in keeping with GU’s mission and emphasis on social justice to bring about social change. Students and Faculty offer a cornucopia of interests as varied as the history of mint tea, drug foods, medicinal herbs, the Columbian exchange, nutrition, brain foods, colonial foodstuffs, culinary citizenship and ethnicity, plants and their biology, the art and physics of cooking, food and performance, soil, access to water… The list goes on and on.

We hope you’ll join us for a digital byte!

Sylvie Durmelat

3 Responses to About GU Food Studies

1. Hello there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my
    myspace group? There’s a lot of people that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Many thanks

2. Buy Raw Burn says:

Hello, I enjoy reading through your article. I like to write
    a little comment to support you.

3. Casie says:

After looking over a number of the blog articles on
    your weeb page, I honestoy appreciate your technique of writing a blog.
    I book marked it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back
    in the near future. Please check out my website as well
    and let me know your opinion.