Updates on Kala Deterville’s Rangel Experience

Kala Deterville graduated from Georgetown in 2018 with a Bachelor of Arts in Government and Japanese. 

As a 2018 Charles B. Rangel International Affairs Graduate Fellow, my journey began in Mid-May when I started a ten week internship with Congressman Gregory W. Meeks. This internship experience provided me with a deeper understanding of the critical role of the legislative branch in U.S. foreign policy and the functioning of Capitol Hill. Given that Congressman Meeks is the ranking member on the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Europe, Eurasia, and Emerging Threats, I became interested in Europe as my second region of expertise and will therefore be interning next summer at the U.S Mission to the European Union as a part of the program’s overseas internship obligation.

Currently, I am in my first year at Columbia University’s School of International and Public Affairs (SIPA), where I am pursuing a Master of Public Administration with a concentration in International Security Policy and East Asia regional specialization. The courses I have been taking at SIPA are equipping me with the qualitative and quantitative analytical skills and managerial skills needed to tackle complex foreign policy issues.

The Rangel Fellowship has thus far allowed me to gain the academic and professional skills needed to be successful as a foreign service officer. Most importantly, I have become a part of a family of aspiring and current diplomats of Rangel fellows, who are eager to shape foreign policy and serve our nation abroad. I am not sure what the future holds in my career but whether thats serving in Egypt or France, I am ready to be flexible, optimistic, and hard working.

I am beyond excited to start my career as a foreign service officer once I graduate in 2020 but for now Brussels and second semester Macroeconomics awaits!

Kala with Representative Gregory Meeks of New York