Building Professional Development with ARCHES

• What professional development skills have been enhanced through your participation in ARCHES?

During the second round of ARCHES interviews, I recall being asked what I thought it meant to be a “Physician Leader.” My response was along the lines of “maximizing every chance to learn, teach, and advocate in the field of medicine.” However, through my time at ARCHES, I continue to learn that there are several professional skills that add substance to what it means to be able to learn, teach and advocate as a physician leader. This week, ARCHES Fellows ate lunch with Dr. Weiner, director of Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center. At one point he talked to us about the need for maintaining a strong team. This skill deepens learning opportunities because like he said, it teaches not to be “imprisoned by your own vision.” When working with passionate people you learn their successes are yours as well, and I see this in my ARCHES peers too. In regards to teaching, in this program we are challenged daily to use critical thinking skills, whether it be through learning how to ask the right questions in Dean Taylor’s MCAT Bootcamp, finding answers in our research, or seeking understanding in our diversity dialogues. To teach successfully in any profession, a person needs to be able to apply to critical thinking skills. I also mentioned advocacy, whether it for the self or the patient. Here, I am finding confidence is a skill that enhances such advocacy because that’s when people take you seriously. Likeability is one thing, but confidence shows you know what you are talking about and you trust yourself enough to share it with others, and again that is when people will listen. These are just a few professional development skills I get to strengthen and utilize in ARCHES.

• What is the significance of the process of research inquiry to your future career choice in the medical profession?

My interpretation of research inquiry is considering a topic, developing an unanswered question about it, and deeply seeking answers and solutions. This research inquiry process is significant because it teaches me that structure and organization is imperative when determining different methods towards solving a problem. Disorganization would have me repeating the same steps. Additionally, I notice the importance of teamwork in research, whether it be seeking guidance from my research supervisor or listening to the advice of people whom I share my research with.  I know this will carry me a long way when I become a medical professional. In the future when a patient is having a problem or health concern, I will take a patient-centered approach because involving them in their care, will make finding what’s wrong and receiving the correct treatment easier. The same teamwork will be expressed with coworkers as well, different perspectives bring different ideas worth listening to.

• What have you learned from you research supervisor?

Under the supervision of Dr. Judy Wang and Charlene Kuo, I am learning how to become a better researcher. A large part of our research is survey interviews by phone. Through these conversations, I must stay attentive, so mastering how to utilize active listening skills to understand participants and direct them through the survey has been helpful. Also, by them checking in often on my research content knowledge and hypothesis, they’ve taught me to keep myself accountable and effectively communicate my research and why it is needed. These are just a few skills I’ve learned from them. I am very thankful for their guidance.

-Yordanos Dessie