"My whole life I've wanted to be the kind of person anyone can lean on, and the more I look into each of the issues raised by the Engelhard Project, the more I am able to be that person." -Engelhard student

"This is quite possibly the best course I've ever taken at Georgetown." -Engelhard student

"In contrast to all of the other courses that I have taken during my college career, this course dealt with health and mental issues that are actually important to my friends, my peers, and me." -Engelhard student

"If only all courses could prove to be so relevant to my personal and educational growth….This class is truly reflective of what all courses in college ought to be." -Engelhard student

"I often left class invigorated and would go home to do more research on the matters we had focused on that day." -Engelhard student

"I appreciate that, even in a large class, I can feel a sense of personal gain and growth through the Engelhard Project." -Engelhard student

"This course really opened my eyes and gave me a new way of thinking." -Engelhard student

"This class made me think about my own life experiences and frame them in a more focused and thoughtful manner." -Engelhard student

Home » Project News » In the News: Technology and Contemplation

In the News: Technology and Contemplation

A recent article in The Chronicle of Higher Education questions the future of contemplation and long-form reading on university campuses filled with social media and multitasking. It features the work of David Levy, a professor in the Information School at the University of Washington, who argues that contemplation can be brought into students’ lives through education. In a class called “Information and Contemplation,” Levy asks his students to critically examine their technology use and to engage in reflective practices. With their new awareness of their multitasking, students write individual guidelines for themselves to use technology and time more productively — and more happily.

The article also recommends further reading, including Levy’s article “No Time to Think: Reflections on Information Technology and Contemplative Scholarship.”

No comments » Uncategorized