"My whole life I've wanted to be the kind of person anyone can lean on, and the more I look into each of the issues raised by the Engelhard Project, the more I am able to be that person." -Engelhard student

"This is quite possibly the best course I've ever taken at Georgetown." -Engelhard student

"In contrast to all of the other courses that I have taken during my college career, this course dealt with health and mental issues that are actually important to my friends, my peers, and me." -Engelhard student

"If only all courses could prove to be so relevant to my personal and educational growth….This class is truly reflective of what all courses in college ought to be." -Engelhard student

"I often left class invigorated and would go home to do more research on the matters we had focused on that day." -Engelhard student

"I appreciate that, even in a large class, I can feel a sense of personal gain and growth through the Engelhard Project." -Engelhard student

"This course really opened my eyes and gave me a new way of thinking." -Engelhard student

"This class made me think about my own life experiences and frame them in a more focused and thoughtful manner." -Engelhard student

Home » Project News » In the News: “The Joy of Learning”

In the News: “The Joy of Learning”

Ashley Finley has recently published an article, “The Joy of Learning: The Impact of Civic Engagement on Psychosocial Well-Being,” in Diversity and Democracy (Vol.15, Iss.3). Ashley is the national evaluator for the Bringing Theory to Practice Project (BTtoP), which provided long-term support to the Engelhard Project, and she was a guest speaker at Georgetown’s Student Learning Summit last summer.

The article explores how students’ intellectual achievement is tied to their emotional well-being. Providing evidence from universities with BTtoP grants, it argues that civic engagement in particular contributes to student flourishing. The full article is available online or as a downloadable pdf here.

No comments » Uncategorized