"My whole life I've wanted to be the kind of person anyone can lean on, and the more I look into each of the issues raised by the Engelhard Project, the more I am able to be that person." -Engelhard student

"This is quite possibly the best course I've ever taken at Georgetown." -Engelhard student

"In contrast to all of the other courses that I have taken during my college career, this course dealt with health and mental issues that are actually important to my friends, my peers, and me." -Engelhard student

"If only all courses could prove to be so relevant to my personal and educational growth….This class is truly reflective of what all courses in college ought to be." -Engelhard student

"I often left class invigorated and would go home to do more research on the matters we had focused on that day." -Engelhard student

"I appreciate that, even in a large class, I can feel a sense of personal gain and growth through the Engelhard Project." -Engelhard student

"This course really opened my eyes and gave me a new way of thinking." -Engelhard student

"This class made me think about my own life experiences and frame them in a more focused and thoughtful manner." -Engelhard student

Home » Project News » In the News: The Sophomore Experience

In the News: The Sophomore Experience

At Georgetown’s Student Learning Summit, sponsored by the Engelhard Endowment, participants discussed ways in which to improve the learning experience for students across all four years. One area that participants particularly focused on, however, was how to engage sophomores. In their second year, many undergraduates go through a difficult period between the orientation and recruitment activities aimed at freshmen and the involvement in a major expected of juniors and seniors. The Engelhard Project, as a program that targets the well-being of lower-level undergraduate students, is one of Georgetown’s ways to bridge this gap.

Another example of such a program is the Sophomore Year Experience at Belmont University in Nashville, TN. Belmont has implemented this targeted plan to address the “sophomore slump.”  The result is a program designed to help students “engage in a focused exploration of themselves and their places in the world,” according to the program’s prospectus. Belmont has made an effort to address all aspects of students’ experience by including academic, social, and spiritual components in their plan.

Read about Belmont’s program and more in the AAC&U’s September Newsletter. Belmont University also offers a detailed prospectus.

Comments Off on In the News: The Sophomore Experience Uncategorized