"My whole life I've wanted to be the kind of person anyone can lean on, and the more I look into each of the issues raised by the Engelhard Project, the more I am able to be that person." -Engelhard student

"This is quite possibly the best course I've ever taken at Georgetown." -Engelhard student

"In contrast to all of the other courses that I have taken during my college career, this course dealt with health and mental issues that are actually important to my friends, my peers, and me." -Engelhard student

"If only all courses could prove to be so relevant to my personal and educational growth….This class is truly reflective of what all courses in college ought to be." -Engelhard student

"I often left class invigorated and would go home to do more research on the matters we had focused on that day." -Engelhard student

"I appreciate that, even in a large class, I can feel a sense of personal gain and growth through the Engelhard Project." -Engelhard student

"This course really opened my eyes and gave me a new way of thinking." -Engelhard student

"This class made me think about my own life experiences and frame them in a more focused and thoughtful manner." -Engelhard student

Home » Project News » Student Learning Summit

Student Learning Summit

From May 30th through June 1st, CNDLS co-hosted with Student Affairs “A Student Learning Summit: Toward an Integrated Georgetown Undergraduate Experience.” The Learning Summit brought together students, faculty, and campus leaders to strengthen the Georgetown learning experience both in and out of the classroom.

Special presentations were given on:

* Georgetown’s Student Life Report, by Shuo Yan Tan, SFS ’12, Clara Gustafson, SFS ’13, and Jack Appelbaum, COL ‘14

* High impact educational practices, by Ashley Finley, AAC&U

* Georgetown’s General Education survey, by Bill Hayward, Slover Linett Strategies

The Learning Summit provided an opportunity for participants to have fruitful discussions with other members of the University from across schools, departments, and specializations. Three working groups were convened during the Summit. The first focused on creating a Center for Undergraduate Research and Inquiry. The second worked on developing curricular/co-curricular pilot projects to bridge the gap between students’ experiences in the classroom and outside it.  The third planned a roadmap for undergraduate learning that will communicate to students the opportunities they have during their four years at Georgetown and offer them ways to integrate their experiences. All three working groups will continue to meet over the summer and into the fall semester.

The Learning Summit was supported by the Engelhard Endowment for Engaged Learning, which is made possible by a generous gift from the Charles Engelhard Foundation. The Endowment enables ongoing inquiry into transformative educational practices. In 2011, the Endowment launched the Institute for the Study of Engaged Learning, a three-day meeting with faculty and staff. This year, the Learning Summit added undergraduate students as participants and presenters.

For more information, or to get involved, contact Randy Bass.

Comments Off on Student Learning Summit Uncategorized