"My whole life I've wanted to be the kind of person anyone can lean on, and the more I look into each of the issues raised by the Engelhard Project, the more I am able to be that person." -Engelhard student

"This is quite possibly the best course I've ever taken at Georgetown." -Engelhard student

"In contrast to all of the other courses that I have taken during my college career, this course dealt with health and mental issues that are actually important to my friends, my peers, and me." -Engelhard student

"If only all courses could prove to be so relevant to my personal and educational growth….This class is truly reflective of what all courses in college ought to be." -Engelhard student

"I often left class invigorated and would go home to do more research on the matters we had focused on that day." -Engelhard student

"I appreciate that, even in a large class, I can feel a sense of personal gain and growth through the Engelhard Project." -Engelhard student

"This course really opened my eyes and gave me a new way of thinking." -Engelhard student

"This class made me think about my own life experiences and frame them in a more focused and thoughtful manner." -Engelhard student

Home » Project News » Maria Donoghue studies brain development

Maria Donoghue studies brain development

Engelhard Fellow and Associate Professor of Biology Maria Donoghue was recently featured in Georgetown College’s online news. Professor Donoghue’s research on the brain focuses on the cerebral cortex, which controls higher cognitive functions. With the support of a National Science Foundation grant, she investigates how the cerebral cortex develops at a cellular and molecular level.

The article also highlights Professor Donoghue’s commitment to her students and to engaged learning. She teaches her large, introductory biology lecture as an Engelhard course and talks about the neuroscience of depression in order to infuse wellness into the curriculum. She says: “It’s a way we can talk academically and intellectually about something that could be an emotionally charged topic without assigning any stigma.”

Read the full story here.

Comments Off on Maria Donoghue studies brain development Uncategorized