"My whole life I've wanted to be the kind of person anyone can lean on, and the more I look into each of the issues raised by the Engelhard Project, the more I am able to be that person." -Engelhard student

"This is quite possibly the best course I've ever taken at Georgetown." -Engelhard student

"In contrast to all of the other courses that I have taken during my college career, this course dealt with health and mental issues that are actually important to my friends, my peers, and me." -Engelhard student

"If only all courses could prove to be so relevant to my personal and educational growth….This class is truly reflective of what all courses in college ought to be." -Engelhard student

"I often left class invigorated and would go home to do more research on the matters we had focused on that day." -Engelhard student

"I appreciate that, even in a large class, I can feel a sense of personal gain and growth through the Engelhard Project." -Engelhard student

"This course really opened my eyes and gave me a new way of thinking." -Engelhard student

"This class made me think about my own life experiences and frame them in a more focused and thoughtful manner." -Engelhard student

Home » Project News » Upcoming book: Transforming Undergraduate Education

Upcoming book: Transforming Undergraduate Education

The Engelhard Project is excited to announce the publication of Transforming Undergraduate Education: Theory that Compels and Practices that Succeed. The new book is edited by Don Harward, President Emeritus of Bates College and co-founder of the Bringing Theory to Practice Project, which supports the Engelhard Project and for which the Georgetown campus provided a demonstration site.

Engelhard Project team members contributed two chapters to the book. Randy Bass (CNDLS) co-authored with Kenneth R. Bain a chapter entitled, “Threshold Concepts of Teaching and Learning that Transform Faculty Practice (and the Limits of Individual Change),” which critically examines how changing faculty members’ approaches to teaching can improve student learning. Another chapter, “Curriculum Infusion: Educating the Whole Student and Creating Campus Change”, co-authored by Mindy McWilliams (CNDLS) and Joan Riley (School of Nursing and Health Studies), contains a case study of the curriculum infusion model utilized by the Engelhard Project and provides guidance to how such a model could be implemented on other campuses.

Congratulations to Randy, Mindy, and Joan on the publication of their work!

Comments Off on Upcoming book: Transforming Undergraduate Education Uncategorized