WHO: Any GU faculty who are interested in integrating digital projects through GU Domains into their pedagogical practice
COMMITMENT: Six two-hour meetings, one per month during the 2021-2022 academic year
Moving to remote, online teaching and learning has highlighted the need for increased awareness of digital presence, fluency, and scholarship. Georgetown Domains is a CNDLS-supported initiative that enables GU faculty, students, and staff to create their own web domains, enabling the creation of public-facing digital projects that showcase work that benefits the greater GU community and beyond. The purpose of this cohort program is to work with 8-10 faculty through a structured curriculum that will lead to the development and implementation of a digital assignment using GU Domains.
- Become familiar with the possibilities afforded by the Georgetown’s Domain of One’s Own initiative
- Develop a conceptual understanding of how the Web works
- Begin to develop a working knowledge of how to build a site that represents you as a teacher and scholar
- Explore the implications of digital scholarship and networks on your own teaching and disciplinary interests
- Design and develop a digital assignment for one of your courses, including learning outcomes alignment, scaffolding, milestones, and an assessment plan or rubric
The first half of the programming will focus on understanding GU Domains, as well as digital fluency and digital identity. Participants will create their own GU Domain and learn the basics of WordPress. Once you are familiar with the affordances of GU Domains, you will begin to develop a digital assignment or project to be incorporated into your pedagogical practice. An iterative process, you will start with learning outcomes, move through the assignment description, then scaffolding, milestones, and then assessment. By the end of the six months, you will not only be familiar with GU Domains, but also have a ready digital assignment that uses GU Domains ready to go.
If you are interested in participating in this program, please fill out the following Google Form. Don’t worry if you don’t have a specific project you want to develop over the academic year – part of the purpose of the program is to help you to develop and implement your ideas for GU Domains. If you have any other questions, please contact Lee Skallerup Bessette at firstname.lastname@example.org.