“So What Are You Going to Do with That?” on Inside Higher Ed

Congratulations to Maggie Debelius, CNDLS Director of Faculty Initiatives and Associate Teaching Professor, whose book "So What Are You Going to Do with That?": Finding Careers Outside Academia was recommended by Inside Higher Ed contributor Natalie Lundsteen. Earlier this week, Lundsteen - who is also the Director of Graduate Career Development and Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas - shared her shortlist for standout books providing valuable guidance to PhDs engaged in a career search.  

"So What Are You Going to Do with That?: Finding Careers Outside Academia" by Susan Basalla and Maggie Debelius [...] is a book I wish I had written, because everything the authors advise is exactly the counsel that I give PhDs questioning, “Why did I do all this research if I can’t get an academic job?” I find this book especially helpful for anyone just beginning to think about what a big deal it is to leave academe and those who are suffering “PhD identity crisis.” (Remember, your degree is a credential—it doesn’t define your capabilities!)

CNDLS extends our warmest congratulations to our colleague, Maggie!

Congratulations to Maggie Debelius, CNDLS Director of Faculty Initiatives and Associate Teaching Professor, whose book “So What Are You Going to Do with That?”: Finding Careers Outside Academia was recommended by Inside Higher Ed contributor Natalie Lundsteen. Earlier this week, Lundsteen – who is also the Director of Graduate Career Development and Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas – shared her shortlist for standout books providing valuable guidance to PhDs engaged in a career search.  

“So What Are You Going to Do with That?: Finding Careers Outside Academia” by Susan Basalla and Maggie Debelius […] is a book I wish I had written, because everything the authors advise is exactly the counsel that I give PhDs questioning, “Why did I do all this research if I can’t get an academic job?” I find this book especially helpful for anyone just beginning to think about what a big deal it is to leave academe and those who are suffering “PhD identity crisis.” (Remember, your degree is a credential—it doesn’t define your capabilities!)