Computational thinking

I think Wing’s article changed my take on computational thinking as I always think that this is something how science people think – logical thinking. And maybe only people who work in the field like computer science or engineering will need to know this computational thinking. But Wing labels it an “attitude and skill set” that everyone can learn and use. The emphasis is on solving problems by exploiting the fundamental concepts of computer science: abstraction, decomposition, recursion, separation of concerns, and so on. In sum, Wing equates computational thinking with thinking like a computer scientist.

Moving on to this week’s LinkedIn python learning and programming, it is very easy to understand for someone who has zero background in programming, like myself. I used to work at a high fashion jewelry company in New York and since it is an e-commerce company, we had two developers in house(at that time, now I think the developers team has expanded to at least five or six people) to write codes and develop and upgrade websites. Every time I passed by their desks, they were always on this black screen full of codes and writing stuff that I just couldn’t understand. I found that so interesting and now that I have finally come to contact with programming, it is not as super difficult as I thought in the beginning. Just like what Ms. Davis said in the video, there are hundreds of, if not, thousands of programming languages. And learning python as a start is good for beginners like myself because of its concise format. I used to think that programming is dull and boring and I always have this stereotypical programmers image deeply rooted in my mind: a dude (usually Asian) with glasses sitting in front of at least two or three computer screens with a monochrome hoodie; a bit socially awkward and may appear looking weird or creepy. Now I feel like that programming is a joyful thing and it can be cool. This is not just nerds do and it can be for everyone just like what Wing said! I followed the instructions on Ms. Davis’s video and tried “hello world” and the sense of accomplishment gained after using code successfully is beyond words.

Hello World, right now.

In [1]: print (“Hello, World!”)

Hello, World!

References:

Davis, A. (2019, 7 12). Linkedin learning. Retrieved from Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/learning/programming-foundations-fundamentals-3/basic-statements-and-expressions?u=57879737

Jeannette Wing, “Computational Thinking.” Communications of the ACM 49, no. 3 (March 2006): 33–35.