Introducing My Old Friend: Canon 60D

This week we has entered into the conversation of digital media. Because my interests lie in photography and graphic design, I have to deal with digital media a lot in my daily life. Therefore, this week I would like to introduce one of my best friend, my camera—Canon 60D.

It’s not a very fancy high-quality camera, but I have been using it for 4 years. I started to use it when I had no understanding of photography principle and even cannot focus on one object. And now I can manually set up the shutter, ISO, and aperture and finally take a satisfying photo. It records the very important moment of my life. I feel like it’s more than a digital camera, it’s an old friend of mine.

The outer design of Canon 60D

Because of blackbox, at first I had no idea of how this camera works. But I saw the outer design, the fairshaped outlook really attracted me.

• Affordance

The handle bar gives people a visual clue of how to hold it. When I actually hold this camera, I can feel it fits my hands and figures perfectly. And the small window (viewfinder) in the back side indicates that people can see the scenes through the it. There are several turntables in the body of camera, the turnable design implies people can turn it. And when you actually turn this turn table, you can see the changes in values of shutter, ISO, and aperture, at the same time the photo will also change with these values. Beside, the essential of the camera is the lens ring, it’s also turnable. The design of lens ring will also give people a hint. People can adjust the lends ring to focus best on the object.

• GUI (Graphical User Interface)

There’s a screen in the backside of camera. People can press the buttons and turn the turntables to change the values. First, they can set up the language. There are numerous languages they can select, so people from all over the world can choose whatever languages they’re comfortable with. And then, a professional photographer will start to adjust the effects and several qualities of image. In addition, when you turn the camera to the video model, you can see the video you record through this small screen. And thusly you can make adjustments timely.

And all of these design increases the interaction between human and the camera.

The inner principle and design of Canon 60D

The basic principle of camera is very simple:

The objects will release different light rays, and the lenses focus and capture the light rays and turn them into image. Diaphragm determines amount of light to be entered and shutter speed determines time of exposure.

De-blackboxing Canon 60D: The modular design inside

The design of camera is also follows the universal design principle. And it basically reveals the modular design. The camera body comes as a package and the lenses, matte boxes, high speed motors and many other things are added on to make the camera fit the needs of users.

Because of blackboxing, we can use the camera to take gorgeous without seeing the inside and knowing every part and working principle of the digital camera. But actually it’s a very complex system inside the small “black box”. The following photo is the motherboard of canon 60D. From this photo, we can see the nodes and small metal components. Each components has its own function and plays a crucial role. Without one single part, the camera cannot work in the right way. 

The Final Step: Photoshop

As Ron White writes in his book How Digital Photography Works, the control of light is essential in the process of photo taking. However; we cannot control the weather when we’re taking photos outside. And so we need photoshop to sightly “beautify” the image. From my understanding, the best photos are all from photoshop (I’m kidding). With photoshop, we can change the light, whiteness, and add filters to the photo to make it seems more beautiful.