May 26 2009

What prevent real globalization…

by at 4:17 pm under Uncategorized

Globalization is an inevitable change and the concept itself is ideal; letting resources move from where there are surpluses to where there are deficiencies. However, there are only a few participants who benefit from globalization because the boon has not fairly distributed YET. The poor become poorer and the rich and their early alliances become richer. I think the biggest problem of the globalization is that the power is highly centralized to the top and the way to imitate the success is closed. Although western world grew quickly by using various protectionism policies, they had kicked away the ladder to climb up the same trail for other players.

Today’s international trade agreement requires fair rules and standardized systems to every participant. It sounds reasonable. Unfortunately, however, trade agreement cannot be made fairly enough in the world of power imbalance. For example, when the U.S-Korea FTA negotiation was proceeding, Korea had to admit resuming U.S. beef importation although the worry of mad cow disease had not dissolved. I often eat beef in the U.S.A. However the beef that Korea accepts from the U.S.A. is different from what normal U.S. domestic people eat. It is told that mad cow disease was mostly found in over 30 month cows. To minimize the risk, USDA allows that less 20 month cows to be sold in domestic market. However Korean government admitted the importation of older than 20 month cows as well to conclude FTA treaty. We certainly understand that there cannot be only benefits from FTA and there must be gives and takes. However beef importation provoked Korean people since it is directly related to life matter. There are few countries in the globe which import older than 20 month cows from other countries. Then why did my country make such a tough decision? Because Korea is economically and politically dependent on U.S.A and we do not have enough power to neglect the demand of the U.S.A. It is just a simple example of the power imbalance in negotiations.

In the networked world, there are some nodes that connect different parts of the community such as international organizations, NGOs, and academic schools/institutions. However, I cannot find no nodes link the world evenly. Because it seems to me that everything is related to the power matter; who owns the power and the nodes are subordinated to the established hierarchy. More specifically, international organizations can easily be affected by who pay for management. NGOs’ activities are remained just in several certain areas such as environment, anti-war/terrorism, and poverty reduction. They hardly affect to the real political decisions. Academic schools and institutions are also becoming political organizations these days.

There is another big obstacle in making perfect globalization. Although technology reduced physical distances among nations/cultures, people’s perspective of a nation has not much changed. The identity of a people defined more distinctively in the globalized world and they follow interests of their own. It is hard to make a collective action despite of the splendid speed of communication.

I am not a pessimist, though. I would like to find answers that I have not thought over to make it a better place through this course.