The possibilities in fusion

On the Chinese New Years Eve (15th Feb.), I went to a special cornerstone event at the the Kennedy Center of Performing Art, which featured world-renowned artist and UNESCO Global Goodwill Ambassador Tan Dun.  The highlights of the night are Guan Xia’s Hundred Birds Flying Toward the Phoenix with traditional suona soloist Wenwen Liu, andTan Dun’s own Triple Concerto for Piano, Violin and Violoncello: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Tan’s works often incorporate audiovisual elements; use instruments constructed from organic materials, such as paper, water, and stone; and are often inspired by traditional Chinese theatrical and ritual performance.

As for that particular night, I was exposed to the combination of suona and the symphony orchestra. On top of that, water was also used as a source of sound in the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

My question for this would be:how a music genre would influence and shape the artists and their works and how the artists would give feedback to that genre.

What’s the possibilities and inspirations in adding alienized sound into certain music piece.

How would certain adaptation change the language of a music work?