Ethical Implications of Advertising and Big Data
By Proma Huq and Deborah Oliveros
Talking points of the group presentation
- AWS and overarching implications
- How does this influence activity/who is privy to the data
- Decision making due to surveillance
- Interpretations and consequences
- Implications of targeted marketing with case studies
- Closing arguments
Presentation slides here
- Charles Duhigg. “How Companies Learn Your Secrets”. New York Times Magazine (16 February 2012)
- Jeffrey Johnson, Peter Denning, et al., “Big Data: Big Data or Big Brother? That Is the Question Now (Concluding Statement),” Ubiquity 2018, no. August (August 2018): 2:1–2:10.
- Kim, Tami, Kate Barasz, and Leslie K. John. “Why Am I Seeing this Ad? The Effect of Ad Transparency on Ad Effectiveness.” Journal of Consumer Research 45, no. 5 (February 2019): 906–932.
- Louise Matsakis. “Online Ad Targeting Does Work – As Long As It’s Not Creepy”, Wired Business (05 May 2019)
- Masters, Kiri. “Why Brands Are Flocking To Amazon Advertising.” Forbes, Forbes Magazine, 20 Feb. 2019, www.forbes.com/sites/kirimasters/2019/02/20/why-brands-are-flocking-to-amazon-advertising/#61ccf10460db
- Netflix. The Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj. Episode 3 “Amazon” November 4, 2018.
- O’Reilly, Lara, and Laura Stevens. “Amazon, With Little Fanfare, Emerges as an Advertising Giant.” The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones & Company, 27 Nov. 2018, www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-with-little-fanfare-emerges-as-an-advertising-giant-1543248561
- Peter J. Denning and Craig H. Martell. Great Principles of Computing, Chap. 2, “Domains.”
- Tega Brain and Sam Lavigne, The New Organs, art installation/collection of testimonies of invasive targeting.
- Weise, Karen. “Amazon Knows What You Buy. And It’s Building a Big Ad Business From It.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 20 Jan. 2019, www.nytimes.com/2019/01/20/technology/amazon-ads-advertising.html.