Home » Uncategorized » Gender and scholarly publishing

Gender and scholarly publishing

October 3rd, 2013

Thank you to Dr. Letitia Bode for this great observation. She writes:

There’s a big discussion in my field about gender in the discipline right now, and one of the major blogs has had a series of posts on the topic this week. The latest (written by the editor of one of the top journals in political science) considers potential gender bias in publishing, and specifically points out that women are less likely to ask questions of editors or ask for extensions for R&R’s (I’ve copied the relevant text below). Thought you’d be interested to see this since you’re always encouraging us to contact editors! Here’s the link, and the two most relevant paragraphs:

To female authors who have been asked to revise and resubmit your manuscript: keep two things in mind. First, if you find that the editor is unclear about what is expected of you, then ask the editor. I grant very few revisions and I have a vested interest in getting you to revise the manuscript so that it will be successful. E-mail me or call me. Your male counterparts are not shy about asking.

Second, if the revision is going to take more time than you anticipated, ask for an extension. I would much rather have a well crafted piece of science than something that was hurried because of a deadline. It may be that you need additional time because you need to collect additional data, because of health issues or child care duties. The reason is not important. I want you to show me your best effort. Again, your male counterparts are not shy about seeking extensions.