Home » Uncategorized » Visit to St. Joseph’s University

Visit to St. Joseph’s University

March 10th, 2011

Earlier in the week I had the pleasure of presenting a workshop for St. Joseph’s University faculty on scholarly book and article publishing. The workshop was hosted by Fr. Daniel Joyce, S.J. through the Office of Mission and Identity. Faculty came from several areas including Theology, Education, the business school, and the library.

We covered big-picture issues such as consistent feedback I’ve received from university press editors about making the processes of writing and submission easier, how to save months and even years by working smarter and sending inquiries early, why sending prospectuses to multiple presses at a time is an industry necessity and not the taboo some think it is, what the real ground rules are (versus those persistent, imaginary ones), and why it’s easier to publish in a top journal in your field than you probably think.  Throughout the three-hour workshop I fielded smart questions, and had fun hearing how the faculty on a different campus think about writing and publishing. It was wonderful and I sowed some seed ideas, hoping to be invited back.

Then I spent that afternoon at St. Joseph’s University Press, where Mr. Carmen Croce and Fr. Joseph Chorpenning oversee one of the most beautiful lists anywhere. I went a little crazy and bought two huge art books, after having received another one (The Jesuits and the Arts, edited by Georgetown’s own Fr. John O’Malley) as a quite welcome thank-you gift for giving the workshop.

Then, after having been back in DC for only two days, a colleague at another university wrote and asked me to present the same workshop! This is wonderful. Booklab goes on the road…