Home » Uncategorized » Scriptorium starts today!

Scriptorium starts today!

January 19th, 2011

Faculty Scriptorium (faculty meeting together in silence to write scholarly stuff) begins again today in the Mortara Center.  Please send a note if you’d like to attend, and I’ll give you the wheres and the whens.  This grew out of a desire for protected time to write during the semester where we could still be together and enjoy the collegiality and accountability.  It’s amazing how much less multi-tasking goes on when a colleague is present!  I don’t even look at e-mail during the two hours.

One Response to “Scriptorium starts today!”

1. Patricia O'Connor on January 20th, 2011 at 6:16 PM  | permalink

I think I use the “hypnotic” rhythm of breathing and making strokes during swimming in some of the same ways. Obviously this is not deeply hypnotic as I have to be careful not to bash my head into the side of the pool at the turns.I do, though, notice the soothing way that the mind frees up and sometimes I just use this for a meditation and break from thinking. Other times I use the calming laps for planning segments of writing. So, I find this idea of the more hypnotic tactics intriguing and will check them out.