Biblioteca : Latin American and Iberian Resources at Georgetown

Hathi Trust, finals, and something fun

December 9, 2015 · Leave a Comment

Hi there. The semester seems to be winding down slightly, at  least from the library’s perspective, so I have a moment to breathe…and blog! Woo!

Last year the Library joined Hathi Trust, which is “a partnership of major research institutions and libraries working to ensure that the cultural record is preserved and accessible long into the future.” There are nearly 7 million book titles in it, most of which are public domain. I found books in Spanish going back as far as the 18th century, and texts in Quechua, the Maya languages and dialects, and other indigenous languages. Its interface is very easy to use, and you can also use your own account to save and search in particular works.

Note that if a title is still in copyright, the view will still be quite limited. However, if you are interested in older materials, or comparing different editions, it works well. In the search bar, you can see that you can select “full-view only,” so your results will only show works that have the full text available. And if you want to do more specialized work on these texts, such as analyzing the occurrence and context of a particular phrase over time, check out the work being done at the Hathi Trust Research Center.

Also I wanted to add a quick note that I’ll be here until December 19, and then I’ll be gone for the winter break until January 4. Please feel free to get in touch if you need any help; no problem is too small or too big! My e-mail is mrs249[at]georgetown.edu, and my phone is 202 687 2878. Generally I am here 10am-6pm, Monday through Friday.

Finally, just as a break from the finals grind, here are some excellent cumbia dancers in Cartagena, Colombia. Enjoy and bona sort/buena suerte/boa sorte for the rest of the semester!

Categories: resources

0 responses so far ↓

• There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.