Biblioteca : Latin American and Iberian Resources at Georgetown

World Literature in Spanish: an Encyclopedia

February 1, 2013 · Leave a Comment

Via the EBSCO Ebooks I wrote about earlier, we now have access to World Literature in Spanish: an Encyclopedia. Besides covering an enormous range of writers and themes from Latin America and Spain, it also has entries on literature from Equatorial Guinea and the Philippines. Most of the entries are quite brief and include a tiny bibliography, but I think its breadth more than makes up for the brevity. Also check out the appendices, in which entries are listed chronologically and geography, a glossary of literary terms, as well as recent bibliography in English and a listing of free electronic resources.

Rather than going straight into the “book,” I found using the menus on the database entry page to be the easiest starting point (i.e. find the link for the letter H first, rather than starting in G and clicking to go forward.) Once you’re “in” the book, searching and other options (highlighting, e-mailing/printing, etc.) are on the right side of the screen. I think this encyclopedia is especially ideal for undergraduates, but if anyone is need of some quick and basic information on a writer or literary movement, this is a great place to start. I have also linked it in the “Reference” section of my Spanish and Portuguese Literatures and Linguistics guide.

Categories: online · resources
Tagged: , ,

0 responses so far ↓

• There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.