Biblioteca : Latin American and Iberian Resources at Georgetown

EBSCOhost E-book Collection

January 23, 2013 · Leave a Comment

This past Friday, my colleagues and I attended a training session on the EBSCOhost E-book Collection.* Its interface is not that different from other EBSCO databases, and quite intuitive to use. I did a couple of sample keyword searches. The one “Latin America” led to about 1500 results (mostly in English), and “Portugal” had a bit over 600, so definitely consider this database while doing your research. Most of these titles should also appear in GEORGE, the library catalog, and link directly into the book from the catalog record. You can also browse all the titles in a particular language by leaving the search boxes blank, but using the language limit at the bottom right; there is little in Portuguese or Catalan at the moment, but there is a good amount in Spanish in a variety of fields of study.

Note that you can create your own free EBSCO account (upper right.) You can keep track of any resource you have used in the EBSCO family of databases, and also readily export them to RefWorks or other bibliographical management software/websites. I recommend this especially if you use EBSCO databases a lot, and I think anything that helps you easily keep track of your resources is good to use, even if it duplicates what you may be doing somewhere else (i.e. RefWorks vs. EBSCO.) You never know when you might need to “retrace your steps,” so to speak.

Finally, if you wish to download and read these e-books (and access other EBSCO databases) onto an iPad, iPhone, or an Android device, you can get more specific directions by searching Help (link is in the far upper right-hand corner.) I generally find it easiest to simply access these and read these completely online, but if, for example, you find yourself stuck on the Red Line without Internet access more times than you ever planned, downloading may be the way to go!

I will add this to my research guides shortly. Also, I will finally complete the second part of my post about my trip to Mexico soon! It involves a few photographs and has been taking a bit to put together.

*Link will either connect directly if you are on Georgetown’s campus, or you will be prompted to log in with your NetID and password if you are off-campus.

Categories: online · resources
Tagged: ,

0 responses so far ↓

• There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.