About Me

I’m Anna Marie Trester, the Director of the MA in Language and Communication (MLC) at Georgetown University in the Department of Linguistics. My work here involves raising awareness of the usefulness of Sociolinguistics in today’s workplace. Click here for my Academic bio.

I have a broad background and training in sociolinguistics from a range of analytical perspectives (including variation analysis, discourse analysis, and ethnography), nearly ten years of teaching experience (both at the graduate and undergraduate levels), and experience as an academic advisor, mentor, and administrator.  I received my M.A. in Linguistics from NYU in 2002 and Ph.D. from Georgetown in 2008.

My research interests, in performance, narrative, humor, cross-cultural communication, social media, and narrative all come together in my current work examining professional self-presentation. I currently have two projects which explore this interest “Talking Business” which is an ethnography at the Georgetown McDonough School of Business, and “Stories Behind the Search” which provides a narrative approach to career exploration.

I recently Co-Organized the Georgetown University Roundtable on Languages and Linguistics (GURT 2011) with Deborah Tannen, with whom I also co0edited the forthcoming volume from Georgetown University Press: Discourse 2.0

I am also an improv teacher and performer at Washington Improv Theater, where I revel in the glory of “mistakes.”

Be Sociable, Share!